Descendants of Zachariah Calloway of Monroe Co., West Virginia

Generation No. 1

1. ZACHARIAH4 CALLOWAY (WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1747 in Delaware, and died 1816 in Petersbury, Monroe Co., WVA. He married ELLENDER BOYD Abt. 1775 in VA. She was born 1760, and died July 04, 1840 in Monroe Co., W VA.


Stories told by Margaret Jane Callaway Izzard

Zachariah Callaway had faith in the honesty of his slaves. He refused to believe his family when they told him his slaves were stealing from him. He made his will stipulating that at his death his slaves were to be freed and provided for. When he was on his death bed, his children to his son lifted him up so he could look out the window. The old slave was walking out of the smoke house with a ham on his shoulder. Zachariah called for his will and tore it up.

Griffeth Garten owned property and slaves, when the south ceceded (sic) from the Union he did not side with them. He sold his property, freed his slaves, gave each of them some land and his name. He moved to Indiana and became a Republican.

Story about Daniel Boone taken from his life....

Capt. Richard Callaway and Daniel Boone were fast friends. A band of Indians captured Elizabeth and Frances Callaway, daughters of Richard, and a daughter or sister of Boone. Boone organized a posse. They trailed the Indians, killed them while they were asleep and rescued the girls who were tied to a tree. Flanders, brother of the Callaway girls, married Jemima, the Boone girl a few months later.

History of Callaway Family National Number 413027

Zachariah Callaway born in 1756 married Ellender Boyd, there children were: Andrew, Margaret, Nancy, Polly, Ellender, Sarah, Joshua, James, Priscilla, Elizabeth and Charles C. Joshua was born in Augusta Co., VA, married first, Rebecca Campbell 1808. Second wife, Nancy Roods in 1813. Priscilla married Delaney Swinney in 1806, Elizabeth married Ephraim Simmons in 1802, Charles married Ellen Garten in 1812; Garten Callaway son of Charles C. had eight children, who were as follows:

Rebecca born 3/21/11846; Nancy Jane born 2/16/1848, Cintha Ellen born 11/2/1850, John born 1/4/1852, Charles L. born 10/10/1854; Schuiler C. born 3/7/1857, Lucy M. born 2/14/1860;

James Callaway born 4/22/1822 son of Charles and Ellen Garten Callaway, died 3/18/1888. Fulton Co., Indiana. married Deborah Bacon, 2/28/2858. Their children were James C. Callaway, Chole Ann, Asa, Frank, Loral, Rebecca, and Howard.

Clerks office, Fulton Co., Indiana. Dated January 1866; box # 674-531 Final Report 4/22/1868 B. 321. Box contains sworn affidavit that Charles Callaway died 11-1865-that he James would administrator said estate and filed this probably estimate of $400.00. December 1865. In final report of settlement of estate dated 4-20-1868 sworn to by notary public, heirs of Charles Callaway were listed as follows: children, Garten, Hiley Abbott, Margaret Issard, James, Mary Ann Wetz, Nancy E. Snepp, Charles A., Mrs Wheeldon (nee Callaway), Mrs. Newton Sweeney (nee Callaway), Mrs. Serena Callaway Horton.

War service of Zachariah Callaway

From Augusta Co., Va. record by Chalkey Vol. 1 page 393, also Vol. l2 page 424

"Zachariah Callaway served in Valentine White's Second Battalion of Augusta Co., VA. This service rendered prior to the year 1784 at which time court records show that he removed to the New River Country.

Zachariah Callaway is the ancestor who assisted in establishing American Independence while acting in the capacity of soldier.

Verified by National Number # 284900

Subscribed and sworn to at Williston, North Dakota, May 12, 1942 Eugene A. Burdick Notary Public, Williston Co., North Dakota. ( A member of the Callaway family joined the DAR at Williston).

Copy of reference continued

Zachariah Callaway took up 200 acres of land in 1793 in what is now known as Greenbriar Co., WVA. page 309, State West VA. ( see B 3-44 County Land Grant Records.) History of Monroe Co., WVA.

Zachariah Callaway died in 1816, leaving his wife, Ellender, who had a blockhouse on Trigger Run near Petersbury. This same history gave the names of their children as presented on previous page. You may refer to it as authority. ( Marion O'Keefe; D.A.R Williston, North Dakota)

# 333690 National Number.

Will of Zachariah Callaway Monroe County, West Virginia

Will Book No. 1 Page 365

I, Zachariah Callaway of Monroe County and State of Virginia do hereby make this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say:

1stly, I desire that all the perishable part of my estate be immediately sold after my decease and out of the money arising there from all my just debts and funeral charges be paid.

2ndly: after the payment of my debts and funeral expenses I give my wife Ellender one third part of my estate both real and personal for and during the term of her natural life and after her decease I give the same to my children herein mentioned ( her part of my land whereon I know live excepted) equally to be divided amongst them ( my son Andrew except) and to be enjoyed by them forever.

3rdly: I give to my son Andrew the tract of land or plantation where on I now live in the county of Monroe containing 200 acres to him and to his heirs forever, also my wife Ellender's third part of the same at her decease to him and his heirs forever.

4thly, I desire that my land on the north side of Peters Mountain in said county and adjoining the land of Jacob Peck be sold and the moneys arising there from as also all the moneys arising from the sales of all my other personal property--say horses, cattle, sheep, hogs, etc. together with all my household and farming utensils and tools of every kind also my wife (') third part of my perishable property after her decease all said moneys to be equally divided among my other children to wit: Peggy, Nancy, Patty, Polly, Sally, Joshua, James, Priscilla, Betsy, and Charles.

5thly: All the rest of my estate both real and personal of what nature or kind so ever it my be not be here in before particularly disposed of, and the money divided equally among my children herein before mentioned which I give them their heirs executors, administrators and assign forever ( Andrew excepted).

6thly: and lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my sons James Callaway and Andrew Callaway executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other wills or testaments by me heretofore made.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affix my seal this 7th day of March 1815.

Zachariah XX Callaway

Signed, sealed and published and declared as and for the last will and testament of the above named Zachariah Callaway in presence of us.

Jacob Peck Edwin H. Wade William Vawter

The will was probated 19th day of November 1812 [sic] Monroe County, West Virginia.

Andrew refused to serve as Administrator of his father's estate.

Zachariah Callaway served in Valentine White's Co.

History of Monroe Co., WV pg. 319 reel 4 # 17

Zachariah Callaway (D. 1816) (Ellender) had a blockhouse of Trigger Run near Peterstown. Children: Andrew, Margaret, Nancy, Paty, Polly, ( James Ellison C. 1796) Sarah, Joshua (Rebecca Campbell 1808? Nancy Roads, 1813) James, Priscilla (Delaney Swinney, 1806). Elizabeth (Ephriam Simmons, 1802), Charles(Ellen Garten, 1812). Richards may have been in this locality in 1775. He was a resident of Fincastle, which then included the southern extremity of Monroe.

Residents of 1799 Tax Roll

Callaway, Isaiah (2) Zachariah

Given names of heads of families with same family name (2) indicates number of tithables in household.


2. i. ANDREW5 CALLOWAY, b. 1793, Giles Co, Va; d. 1839, Giles Co, Va.

ii. MARGARET CALLOWAY, b. Abt. 1774.

iii. NANCY CALLOWAY, b. Abt. 1775.


v. MARTHA CALLOWAY, b. 1777; m. (1) SAMUEL HUTCHINSON; m. (2) SAMUEL FLESHMAN, March 10, 1795, Greenbriar Co.,, VA.

vi. JAMES CALLOWAY, b. 1778.

vii. SARAH (SALLIE) CALLOWAY, b. 1778.

viii. PRISCILLA CALLOWAY, b. 1782.

ix. JOSHUA CALLOWAY, b. 1783.


3. xi. CHARLES C. CALLOWAY, b. January 01, 1793, Augusta Co., VA; d. November 16, 1865, Fulton Co., IN.

Generation No. 2

2. ANDREW5 CALLOWAY (ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1793 in Giles Co, Va, and died 1839 in Giles Co, Va. He married SARAH WEBB March 09, 1819 in Giles Co., VA. She was born 1798 in South Carolina.


i. VERLINDA6 CALLOWAY, b. January 23, 1820, Monroe Co., W VA; m. GEORGE PAUL, January 08, 1839, Decatur Co., IN.

ii. JOHN W. CALLOWAY, b. 1821, Monroe Co., W VA; d. 1880, Wayne Co., IA; m. EUNICE EDGINGTON, April 29, 1848, Des Moines, IA.

iii. ELEANOR ANNE CALLOWAY, b. April 14, 1822, Decatur Co., IN; d. February 27, 1879, Des Moine CO., IA; m. MATHIAS PING, September 25, 1839, Barthlomew Co, IN.

iv. GEORGE A. CALLOWAY, b. 1824, Decatur Co., IN; m. ELIZABETH EDINGTON, October 21, 1847, Des Moines, IA.

v. ALFRED COLWELD CALLOWAY, b. September 30, 1830, Barthlomew Co., IN; m. MARTHA ANN GULICK, September 20, 1855, Des Moines, IA.

vi. CHARLES CALLOWAY, b. Abt. 1832, Barthlomew Co., IN; m. MALINDA ANN MARSHALL, January 08, 1855.

vii. ANDREW J. CALLOWAY, b. June 27, 1835, Barthlomew Co., IN; d. January 17, 1901; m. (1) CLARINDA MARSHALL, December 28, 1855; m. (2) MARY MERRICK, August 22, 1867.

viii. JAMES CALLOWAY, b. Abt. 1838.


3. CHARLES C.5 CALLOWAY (ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born January 01, 1793 in Augusta Co., VA, and died November 16, 1865 in Fulton Co., IN. He married (1) SARAH PEARSON. She died in Fulton Co., IN. He married (2) ELLEN GARTEN September 26, 1812 in Monroe Co., Virgina, daughter of GRIFFITH GARTIN and HANNAH MILLER. She was born September 16, 1793 in Monroe Co., VA, and died May 16, 1843 in Fulton Co., IN.


Cause of Death: small pox


4. i. CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, b. August 23, 1813, Monroe Co., VA; d. April 14, 1863, Fulton Co., IN.

5. ii. ERSULA CALLOWAY, b. February 26, 1815, Monroe Co., W VA; d. May 12, 1845, Greensburg, Decatur Co., IN.

6. iii. GARTEN CALLOWAY, b. 1816, Monroe Co., W VA; d. March 20, 1898, Fulton Co., IN.

7. iv. SCILEY (HILEY) CALLOWAY, b. 1817, Monroe Co., W VA.

8. v. MARGARET JANE CALLOWAY, b. 1814, Monroe Co., W VA; d. April 21, 1917, Fulton Co., IN.

9. vi. JAMES CALLOWAY, b. 1825, Monroe Co., W VA.

vii. MARY ANN CALLOWAY, b. November 03, 1830; d. July 01, 1904, Fulton Co., IN; m. SEYMORE NERTZ/WERTZ, October 20, 1849, Fulton Co., IN.

viii. SERINIA CALLOWAY, b. December 29, 1827, Decatur Co., IN; d. November 04, 1846, Fulton Co., IN; m. WILLIAM A. HORTON, October 22, 1846, Fulton Co., IN.

ix. NANCY E. CALLOWAY, b. 1833, Decatur Co., IN; m. HENRY SNEPP, February 02, 1853.

x. CHARLES ANDERSON CALLOWAY, b. 1836, Decatur Co., IN; m. CATHERINE FALCONBURY, April 05, 1860.

Generation No. 3

4. CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY (CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born August 23, 1813 in Monroe Co., VA, and died April 14, 1863 in Fulton Co., IN. She married JAMES WHEELDON,JR. December 31, 1829 in Decatur Co., IN, son of JAMES WHEELDON, SR.. He was born March 06, 1812 in KY, and died in Cass Co., IN ( Fulton Co.).


Fulton County, Indiana Cemetery Records, Vol. 1

Gideon Miller Farm Cemetery. This is an abandoned cemetery. Also know as the old Johnson Family Cemetery. It is directly across the road from Lillian (Miller) Barger residence on the line between Rochester and Liberty twp. Farm formerly know as the Old Wheeldon Farm at the time was purchased by Gideon Miller.

To reach it, drive south on SR 25 ( from Rochester ) turning left onto 400 S.

Wheeldon Cemetery page 3.

Wheeldon, Phebe, wife of James Wheeldon, died ( stone broken )

Row 2: Ella Wheeldon, Dau. of J & C Wheeldon, D. July 15, 1845 Age 1 year, 9 months and 11 days.

Wheeldon, Newburry, son of J & C. Wheeldon died September 11, 1835 Age 1 years, 5 months and 11days.

Wheeldon, Lydia Ann, Dau. of J & C. Wheeldon, died April 2, 1858 aged 11 months.

Wheeldon, E. J. A. ( small marker )

Wheeldon, Catherine daugh. of J.& C. Wheeldon, died May 27, 1847 Age 1 year and 11 months.

Wheeldon, Cintha, wife of J. Wheeldon, died April 14, 1863 age 49 years 8 months and 21 days.

Madison County Kentucky Marriage: 1 March 1789, John Weldon and Phoebe Best.

1810 Kentucky census, Wheeldon, James pg. 205, male 2 U/10, 1 10/16 1-26/45

Jennings Co., Indiana. Will Records 1822-1913 ( McNew, Jeremiah )

Will witness, Thomas E. Wheeldon

Wheeldon, James husbandman, N.C. Feb. 28, 1721

October 2, 1721 C. 334 Wife Bridget, son Isaac, son Joseph

Decatur County, Indiana Marriages

Bk 1 pg.

27 October 1859 River, Ann Elizabeth, married Wheeldon, John

31 August 1868 Wheeldon, Lydia A. Wheeldon, Pleasant

26 Aug. 1863 West, Preston H. Wheeldon, Mary E.

8 June 1853 Marlow, Austin, and Wheeldon, Julia Ann

22 September 1854 Demont, John Wheeldon, Nancy E.

8 April 1855 Fuel, Ephraim, and Wheeldon, Rebecca


Burial: Gideon Miller Cemetery(farm)


i. MAHALA7 WHEELDON, b. October 10, 1830, Fulton Co., IN; d. "out west"; m. JOHN D. GREEN, December 24, 1853.

Notes for JOHN D. GREEN:

John D. Green, being a soldier, he was entitled to a claim out west; they lived in a dugout. She gave birth to a 3rd child. One of the little ones kept calling for a drink of water and mother like she went across the dirt floor and got the water. She took cold and died and was buried way out there from home and friends. I don't know if any of her children are living ( December 27, 1937) **Patsy Wheeldon.

10. ii. CHARLIE WHEELDON, b. February 22, 1833, Fulton Co., IN; d. February 03, 1895, Jefferson Co., CO.

11. iii. ANGELINE C. WHEELDON, b. May 03, 1838, Fulton Co., IN; d. March 13, 1863, Fulton Co., IN.

12. iv. GRIFFITH B. WHEELDON, b. July 15, 1839, Fulton Co., IN.

v. JOHN WHEELDON, b. November 05, 1842.

13. vi. PATSY WHEELDON, b. May 08, 1849, Fulton Co., IN; d. February 16, 1939, Exeter, MO., Barry CO.

14. vii. JAMES WHEELDON, b. June 14, 1851, Fulton Co., IN; d. Nebraska.

15. viii. EVERLY WHEELDON, b. 1854; d. 1933, Muncie, Indiana.

ix. LIBBY ANN WHEELDON, b. 1856.

16. x. SARAH ANN WHEELDON, b. 1856.


5. ERSULA6 CALLOWAY (CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born February 26, 1815 in Monroe Co., W VA, and died May 12, 1845 in Greensburg, Decatur Co., IN. She married JAMES SWEENY December 13, 1830 in Decatur Co., IN. He died May 15, 1845 in Greensburg, Decatur Co., IN.


Adoption: Garten Callaway becomes guardian of children

Burial: Mt. Zion, Marshall Co, IN Section S row 11




iii. CHRISTIAN SWEENY, m. PHILLIP COVEAR, February 25, 1866, Miami County, IN.

iv. AMANDA SWEENY, b. April 04, 1841; m. (1) THOMAS MCQUISTON, June 17, 1855, Fulton Co., IN; m. (2) JESSE ZENTZ, January 30, 1862, Marshall Co., IN.

v. ELLA MINERVA SWEENY, m. DENNIS R. SMITH; b. July 12, 1841; d. February 26, 1863.


Military service: CO F. 87th Reg. Ind. Vol.

6. GARTEN6 CALLOWAY (CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1816 in Monroe Co., W VA, and died March 20, 1898 in Fulton Co., IN. He married MARGARET OLIVER June 16, 1842 in Fulton Co., IN. She was born Abt. 1825 in Ohio, and died May 11, 1905 in Fulton Co., IN.


i. CHARLES7 CALLOWAY, b. 1856.

ii. SCHUYLER CALLOWAY, b. March 1857.

iii. JAMES LINCOLN CALLOWAY, b. October 20, 1864.

iv. REBECCA CALLOWAY, b. 1847.

v. NANCY J. CALLOWAY, b. 1848.

vi. CYNTHIA CALLOWAY, b. 1851.

vii. JOHN O. CALLOWAY, b. 1853.

viii. LUCY M. CALLOWAY, b. 1860.

ix. JAMES CALLOWAY, b. 1861.

7. SCILEY (HILEY)6 CALLOWAY (CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1817 in Monroe Co., W VA. She married RICHARD ABBOTT October 30, 1838 in Fulton Co., IN.








8. MARGARET JANE6 CALLOWAY (CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1814 in Monroe Co., W VA, and died April 21, 1917 in Fulton Co., IN. She married JABEZ IZZARD September 08, 1842 in Fulton Co., IN. He died August 26, 1890 in Fulton Co., IN.


i. SARAH7 IZZARD, m. DAVID RUSSELL, September 16, 1867.

ii. CHARLES IZZARD, m. CLARISIA JONES, April 03, 1886, Fulton Co., IN.

iii. NEWTON M. IZZARD, m. (1) MARY RUGH, November 06, 1873; m. (2) IDA MAY SMITH, May 13, 1905.



vi. VIDA IZZARD, m. JOHN L. MYERS, September 24, 1892, Fulton Co., IN.

vii. WILLIAM IZZARD, m. HATTIE STURGEON, March 26, 1887, Fulton Co., IN.

9. JAMES6 CALLOWAY (CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1825 in Monroe Co., W VA. He married (1) CHRISTINA OLIVER April 11, 1847 in Fulton Co., IN. He married (2) AMANDA POWELL June 10, 1849.


i. JAMES L.7 CALLOWAY, b. 1862.

ii. ELLA CALLOWAY, b. 1863.

iii. REBECCA CALLOWAY, b. 1865.

iv. BACAN CALLOWAY, b. 1867.


vi. MARIAN CALLOWAY, b. 1875.

Generation No. 4

10. CHARLIE7 WHEELDON (CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born February 22, 1833 in Fulton Co., IN, and died February 03, 1895 in Jefferson Co., CO. He married SARAH KENSLOR May 06, 1859 in Fulton Co., IN. She was born 1840, and died November 04, 1908.


I was only 12 when mother died. I went after Uncle Garten the even she passed away. After she couldn't talk any more she held up her finger, and we understood that she wanted the ring that brother Charlie had given her. He was in the army and couldn't get home. I put the ring on her hand, she smiled so sweet and soon left us for her home in Heaven. In a few days brother Charlie came and it seemed more than he could bear that he couldn't see mother. To make it worse he had to leave his wife and two small children and go back to the civil war, so his family came and lived with us until brother came back safe.


Military service: July 1861, CO A 26 Reg. Capt. Milt Minor; rank Pvt.


i. WILLIAM8 WHEELDON, b. 1860.

ii. SARAH WHEELDON, b. 1862.

11. ANGELINE C.7 WHEELDON (CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born May 03, 1838 in Fulton Co., IN, and died March 13, 1863 in Fulton Co., IN. She married JAMES HATTERY January 09, 1855 in Fulton Co., IN, son of ALEXANDER HATTERY and CATHERINE FRANCE. He was born 1833 in Ohio.


i. CHARLIE A.8 HATTERY, b. 1856, Marshall Co., IN; d. 1906, Wood Co, OK; m. MINNIE M. KACKEL, August 07, 1891.

ii. WILLIAM G. HATTERY, b. 1858, Cass Co., IN; d. March 25, 1914, Cass Co., IN; m. MARGARET A. SNYDER.

iii. CLARA E. HATTERY, b. 1862, Rochester, Fulton Co., IN; d. September 29, 1869.

12. GRIFFITH B.7 WHEELDON (CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born July 15, 1839 in Fulton Co., IN. He married PHEBE JANE GREEN December 28, 1859 in Fulton Co., IN. She died 1930.








13. PATSY7 WHEELDON (CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born May 08, 1849 in Fulton Co., IN, and died February 16, 1939 in Exeter, MO., Barry CO. She married REV. MOSES M. SMITH January 04, 1866, son of JEZRIA SMITH and CYNTHIA TINDER. He was born May 07, 1844 in Jennings Co., IN, and died January 11, 1931 in Exeter, MO., Barry CO.


" A Short History of Our Mother's Family"

by Patsy Smith, December 27, 1937

My grandfather's name was James Wheeldon, which was also my Father's name. My grandparents and parents were born and raised in the south part of the State of Indiana but later moved to the north part of Indiana about 10 miles South of Rochester. Where I was born, May 8, 1849. My mother's maiden name was Cynthia Ann Calloway. I can't recall much about mother's parents as I was quite small and have no record of the family. Grandmother Calloway was twice married and I think often of a girl by her first marriage we called Aunt Una who was blind.

She could make a bed as neat as one with good eyes. She never married. My grandmother also had on sister, Aunt Nancy, who married Henry Suepp of the United Brethren church. Aunt Nancy had one son, Johnny. We all dreaded to see him come for he was so mischievous. In those days people couldn't afford rain barrels but would hollow out a good sized log to catch rain water and this boy would get in that and play and spoil the water for further use. Mother had two brothers, Andy and Garten. I was only 12 when mother died. I went after Uncle Garten on the eve she passed on. After she couldn't talk any more she held up her finger and we understood she wanted the ring my brother Charlie had given her. He was then in the army and couldn't get home. I put the ring on her hand. She smiled so sweet and soon left us for her home in heaven. In a few days brother Charlie came and it seemed more than he could bear that he couldn't see mother. To make it worse he had to leave his wife and two small children to go back to the Civil War. So his family came and lived with us until brother came back safe. I had 4 sisters and 5 brothers who grew to womanhood and man hood and two small children, the oldest died before they were named. sister's names were Mahla, Angelina, and Sarah Ann, whose twin Liddy Ann died when very young and was laid in the Royal Center Cemetery by the side of the infants. My father was laid to rest in the same cemetery but mother was buried on a family lot on the farm where we lived.

Mahala was married to John Green. Soon after her marriage they took a claim out wet. Being a soldier he was entitled to the claim. They lived in a dugout. Gave birth to a third child. One of the little ones kept calling for a drink and mother like she went across the dirt floor and got the water. She took cold and died and was buried way out there from home and friends. I don't know if any of her children are living. Angeline's name was Hattery after her marriage. Had two boys, Charlie and Wilie. ( Charlie died at the Sanatorium at Logansport, Indiana). Both full of mischief. After their mother died they lived in our house for a time. One day when were away they put a dog in he well bucket and rant he windlass up and down until most of the hair was on the rope and bucket that wasn't in the water. The little sister lived with us for a time but later made her home with Grandpa Wagoner. I don't know if she and Billy are living or not. Sister Sarah married James DeBoo and they had 4 children, 1 boy Noah, died when about 2 1/2 years old. The little girl died at birth. John and Sam grew to manhood. Sam is in California and John has gone to his Heavenly Home where his wife Hazel Brown preceded him 22 or 23 years. After 7 years of a happy home life James came to live with them. He was only 3 when he died. They were married October 1937 and live in Kokomo, Indiana. My brothers names were James, Griffie, Charlie, Everly, and John. The latter died at home at 18 years of age. My brother James Wheeldon was married in Indiana. He later moved to Nebraska. His only son, Milo, still lives in Nebraska. He makes his home with his daughter as his wife passed on several years ago. Milo's son called here to see me two years ago while seeing the Ozarks. His name is Milo Wheeldon and he is employed by the government. Brother Eve wife ( Aunt Kate) went to her eternal home August '37. The last of the bro's wives. There are 2 girls--Lettie Hauben of Nebraska City, Nebraska and Edith Grael of Percival, Iowa. I have already told about brother Griffie.

I know very little of his or brother Griffie except both are dead. I met Griffie's wife and daughter when brother James died some 20 years. ago. My youngest brother, Everly, lived in Gausport many years ago, but the parents being alone, their older daughter Mrs. A. B. Hoover took him to her home at Muncie where he died in '33. Aunt Lou lived in her home at Logan a year or so ago. Her health failed an Ada took her to home in Muncie. She died their and both laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery there. Ada's husband died in '36 after a short illness. They had no children except he had a daughter by 1st. marriage. Ada taught school in Muncie for 15 years before her marriage and she lives at 723 N. Jefferson St. Bessie is a teacher and this year is at Fort Wayne, Indiana. Her name is Elizabeth Berry. Her husband died several years ago. They had no children. The only son, David Moreheart Wheeldon, lives in Logansport now but for two terms was County treasurer of Blackford Co., IN. He married a Catholic girl--they have no children. I recall this bit of history at the age of 88 years, months. The only one of our family left, just waiting for the call to come up higher. Patsy Smith, Exter, Missouri, December 27, 1837

For the benefit of the grand children I submit a short history of my own life. I was 16 years old when I was married. Ebert the oldest. He was 20 months old when the little brother Melvin died. Just a baby. Lyda ( Cynthia) and Ida (Sarah) twins, were born January 13, 187. Ida lived only a few days. C. E. Col. Ellsworth was born March 28, 1873. Grace born January 4, 1875 ( our wedding anniversary). Searing was only a babe when he died. Jesse Moses was born September 26, 1879. Olive Pearl was born September 5, 1881, Lula Ann was born December 15, 1885. Roy Wesley was born November 3, 1890. There are living seven children of eleven, 38 grandchildren, 62 great-grandchildren, 1 great-great granchild, making the total of descendants 101 at this date. The date of my marriage was January 4, 1866. Ebert's birth was November 18, 1866. I was saved soon after my mother's death. I remember well that Aunt Nace Suepp was singing the old song, " and we'll all Cross the River of Jordan by and by.

It was a happy time in my life and I am hoping all my loved ones will be ready when Jesus calls for them. I'll continue to pray for all of my loved ones while I live. An Evangelia Lydia Sexton was doing the preaching when I was saved.


Fact 1: Maple wood Cemetery, Exeter, MO

Notes for REV. MOSES M. SMITH:

Records and Minutes of the Fairmount, Indiana Baptist Church 1897

Page 1. Received by Experience

Rev. M. Smith October 27, 1894

Mrs. M. Smith October 27, 1894

Grace Smith October 27, 1894

( All received by letter)

June 30, 1894

Fairmount Baptist Church met for transaction of business with Bro. M. Smith in the Chair. The minutes of the prior meeting was red and approved as red on the matter of unfinished business of Prior Meeting was taken up. Committee on Pastor report and committee discharged. Committee on Organismal reports and was discharged. Moved and seconded that we proceed to the election of Pastor by Ballot.

Bro. M. Smith was unanimously elected as Pastor. There being not further business we adjourned to meeting on Saturday before the 4th Sunday in July at 2:30 P.M.

M. Smith Moderator

F.C. Creek, Clerk

Marriage Certificate This Certifies that the Rite of Holy Matrimony was celebrated between Moses Smith of Fulton Co., IN. and Patsey Wheeldon of Fulton Co., IN. on 4th January 1866 at home of Bride by Rev. Calvin Babcock.

Witnesses: James & Harritt Wheeldon

To All Whom it May Concern

Know ye that Moses Smith, Private of Captain James Moffat Company C 6th Reg. Vol. Indiana who was enrolled on the ____ day of October one thousand eight hundred and sixty one to serve three years. During the war is hereby discharged fro the service of the United States on this ____ day of November 1864 at Indianapolis, Indiana by reason of expiration of time of services.

Said was born in Jennings Co., Indiana and is 19 years of age. Five feet and six inches high, light complexion, blue eyes and light hair and by occupation was enrolled as Farmer. Given at Indianapolis the Twenty Third Day of November 1864.

The Indiana Baptist Convention
Miss Lavedah Craw
R R # 2
Fairmount, Indiana 46928

Dear Miss Craw,

In checking our records for Moses Smith we find an M. Smith, and we are presuming it was Moses, as he was pastor at the churches you mentioned in your letter. So here are the dates as we have them:

1880-1881 Rosedale, Pulaski County

1882-1885 Lafountain

1886-1891 Jonesboro

1892-1897 Fairmount

We hope this information will be of help to you.

Sincerely Yours,
Mildred Sargent

Uncle Moses Smith an old time and highly respected citizen of Exeter, passed away at 4:30 A.M. Sunday, January 11,1 931 following an illness extending over the past several months.

Born in Jennings Co., Indiana, 86 years ago May 7th 1844. He was married to Patsy Wheeldon, January 4, 1866. He and his good wife came to Barry County, MO. locating in Exeter 35 years ago, where they have since lived. Eleven children were born to this union, three dying in infancy. The children who remain are Ebert of Stark City, MO., C.E. of Fairmount, Indiana, J. M. of Sloan, Iowa. R. W. of Tulsa, Ok. Lydia Craw of Fairmount, Indiana, Grace Hiatt of Anderson, Indiana, Pearl Lokey of Fort Collins, Colorado, Lulu Trantham of Tulsa.

There are 36 grandchildren, and 52 great grandchildren.

Uncle Moses enlisted in the army in 1861 as a member of Co., G. 6th Indiana Infantry. For 50 years he was a faithful minister of the Baptist Church. He helped to organize 8 churches and ordained 45 ministers and deacons. He was pastor of 22, some of which he served 8 years. We shall miss his kindly face, miss him in a thousand ways, miss his tender loving care, miss him always everywhere. He was a man of the old type. The kind that held honor, truth, and love, above all; his first thought being of his Lord and Savior. He was loved and honored by all who knew him. He enjoyed conversing with his friends on the Bible. How much this community owes him and such as he, can never be estimated though it would be a pleasant task to trace his influence through some of the more direct channels to hold him up in these degenerate days in the various roles of husband and father, neighbor and friend; to speak of the children he has reared to perpetuate his name and emulate his virtues. Suffice it to say he lived nobly and died peacefully at an advanced age. They found him as a shock of corn, fully ripe for the harvest. A short time before his passing, he called for the "Old Time Religion" to be sung, which the daughter played for him on the Victrola. He asked Brother VanZant to read the 90th Psalm and have prayer. He was conscious to the last and greatly enjoyed these services. Not for him be our tears, rather let us crown his grave with garlands. Few of us will live as long or as well,a and fewer yet will the angel of death greet with such a loving touch. Impressive services were held at the Exeter Baptist Church, January 13, conducted by C. M. Smith and Brother VanZant. His remains were laid to rest in the Maplewood Cemetery. A large number of sorrowing relatives and friends gathered to pay the last tribute of respect to his splendid man.

Written by Elder M. Smith, Exeter, MO.

This sketch covers a period of 117 years. My father was J. Q. Smith was born in Scott County, Kentucky, March 13, 1810. In his 19th year he was saved ( born again ) of the Spirit. John 3:3 and was baptized by James Black to the fellowship of the Long Lick Baptist Church in which he lived faithful 66 years. Forty seven of this time he was an ordained deacon. April 7, 1895 he went to be with Jesus who had saved him.

He had a half brother killed at Chicamaugua on the 19th day of September 1863. I saw him and spoke a few words as he lay in a pool of blood where he fell.

My grandfather, James. R. Tinder, ( my mother's father ) was a Baptist preacher in Woodward County, Kentucky some 140 years ago. His oldest son was a Baptist preacher also. Grandfather was in the War of 1812. He had two sons in the Mexican War. He had two sons, 5 grandsons, and two great grandsons Baptist preachers and one great-great grandson who belongs to the 5th generation that ought to be.

My mother, Cynthia Tinder was born in Woodward County, Kentucky, March 6, 1812. In her 17th year she was saved by Grace and baptized into the fellowship of the Baptist church in which she lived faithful until the Lord called he from labor in her 91st year. She died on that date. I think she was the finest Bible student of any woman I ever saw. She had 119 lineal descendants of three generations.




Presented in a book written by T. T. Martin which I regard as being next thing to the Bible. Also my views of the Church and the Kingdom from a scriptural standpoint. Also a brief history of the Church. Also a correct family record which I trust and pray that you may preserve it carefully and hand it down to your children.

I was born in Jennings County, Indiana, May 7, 1844. Raised on a farm with Father and Mother, which was true to God and their family. They lived together sixty-seven years. Father being an Ordained Deacon some forty years. Both lived to be a ripe age, father over eight-five and mother died the day was ninety-one.

When the War of the Rebellion started in 1861, father sent me to Mill. I was seventeen. I put the team up in a Mr. Schafer's stable and sold the wheat and left he corn and started with the 6th Indiana Inf. and started for the front; reached Louisville next morning, my regiment was the first to cross the Ohio River. I was gone three years and thirty-two days. Though raised by religious parents, I was unsaved. I was at the Battle of Shiloh saw many killed and dying. Thought but little of it at the battle of Stone River, which lasted seven days. We camped on the battlefield the winter of '63 and the doctor of our regiment had an old Negro who stayed at headquarters names Jesse. He was religious and would pray at night when in Camp after roll call one night at eight o'clock we heard old Jesse praying. One of the boys said, "let us go up and stop that," so he started and some twenty of us followed him to see what he would do. Forming a ring around the old servant, Dun Shubert picked up the doctor's saddle put it on old Jesse who was still praying, and said he would ride. I have heard thousands of prayers but nothing to me like that one. He continued to pray until Schubert removed the saddle and started for his quarters, without uttering a word. There and then for the first time I was convicted of Sin, I carried those convictions until we went into the battle of Chicamauga, September 19 & 20. The fight was desperate from starting to finish. In the morning of the 19th one of my bunk mates was shot down. I saw him and said, "Tom are you hurt bad?" I do not remember just what he said but I do remember that he took out and old pocket book and handed to me and said, "if you ever see my mother give her this, there is ten cents in it." I said, " No Tom, you may see her before I." He said, " You know I must die." I went on in the fight but didn't take it. Poor Tom died soon. I could not help thinking of him and others of my bunk mates that fell that day. About 5 o'clock in the evening, Gen. Walker, who Commanded a division of Southern troops charged our line. They were repulsed, our loss being very heavy. Our Col. fell with some twenty or thirty others. It was then very dark and the last one of my bunk mates was either killed, wounded or taken prisoner. The regiment had orders to lay down, I fell on my knees and asks the Lord to save my soul, not that I feared death so much but I could not bear the thought of going into the presence of God in my sins. He then and there saved me. Passed on the next day through the fight which was desperate for we were with General Thoma, all through the fight. The remained of my service seemed lighter, as I thought a great deal about the Lord.

At the Battle of Peach Tree Creek, July 22, 1864 when General McPherson was killed, I found a Bible and picked it up and when I saw it said Holy Bible. I thought I would like to read it. Though rather large to carry 6" X 10". It belonged to J. B. Sloan. He was killed, I suppose on the Southern side. As I could never find an trace of him. I still have the old Bible and had it for a pillow on the battlefield at Atlanta, Ga. where I was left, as I thought, to die, on the night of August 25, 1864. After lying there all night, next morning not a soul either beast or man to be seen or heard. About nine o'clock God directed as I think, a good Samaritan that way in the person of W. R. Smith of General Woodstaff's who took me up put me in a rig and sent me to the hospital in Marietta, Ga. After some forty-five years, I heard of him and went to see him some six or seven hundred miles from my home and stayed with him most of two days and one night. He is sure a fine man and though brave he wept and I wept and his wife wept as we talked over the sad scenes. He is a very eminent physician of Knightstown, Indiana. I have his picture framed and hanging on the wall.

Request have been given to have the Old Bible put in my coffin. I was mustered out of the service November 22, 1864 almost a wreck so far as health but having one of the good old mothers of the Lord to care for me, I rallied, I well remember how she would take a strap with a buckle on and fasten my hands together when I would go to bed to keep me from clawing my flesh and then the sheets some mornings would be bloody and soiled. But by God's mercy and grace I improved, so on the 4th day of January 1866, I was married to Miss Patsy Wheeldon. Though only 16 years old proved to be the right girl in the right place for surely God gave me one of His best. The same year I joined the Baptist Church at Fulton, Indiana and told my experience, baptized by Elder E. J. Delp who had been a Captain in the Army and had the bone shot out of the right arm to his elbow, so he had to Baptize left handed. I had been burdened very heavily at times to preach the gospel of Him who had so wonderfully saved me but owing to my poverty and inability would put it off until October 1870. One of my dear little boys, Lambert M. died, I shall never, no, no, never forget his last words to me. He was a lovely boy and very smart. I was right over him, not more than one minute before the spirit left the body. He looked right at me and said, "oh, pa." He was gone. Oh heaven sweet heaven, so dear to me, I should feel very sad to think one of my dear ones would miss it. Soon I tried to preach my first sermon to a crowded house, came mostly, I presume, thought curiosity, for it was a very wicked place, was licensed to preach by the Church at Rosedae, Pulaski County, Indiana and was ordained the next year as pastor of that church by a council of seventeen ministers and deacons. If my scrap book and memory are correct, I've tried to preach seven thousand times and I am so glad, though fallible as I was and am, I always had Christ in them. I was poor and in those days the preacher got but little. I remember preaching twice barefooted, and once baptized at nine o'clock on Sunday morning and then went three or four miles and preached without changing clothing for I hadn't a change which would have been respectable.

I have pastored twenty-two churches some of them eight years, I have held and helped to hold seventy-one protracted meetings with seven hundred and eighty-two conversions. I have received in the church eight who are and have been preachers. some two that I know of are gone. I have organized with others to help eight churches, helped to ordain forty-five ministers and deacons. After I came home from the Army I fought the Baptist doctrine harder than any of the seven leading denominations except Catholics and while I thank the Lord for His Saving Grace, and accept of his His work anywhere by old Bible found and His grace made me a Baptist my mother church.

I served two years as a missionary and eight years with the Miami and Potawatomi tribes of Indians on the Mississinewa reservation in the Northern Indiana, and which I think I have had many hard days work, split lots of rails, chopped lots of cord wood, cut lots, of wheat with a cradle and some with a reap hook and cleared lot of heavy timbered land, marched with gun and knapsack till blisters would raise on my feet and burst, starved to some extent for 22 days with Thomas Army at Chattanooga, but among the hardest I think was while with the natives, I had seven to baptize, five Indians and one old man, seventy-three years old and a white girl, Mary Bolen. It was in February and very cold and snow onto ground about 6" and the frost flying in the air. The young white lady asked me if I would not baptize in Jascina Creek close to her home as her parents objected to her being baptized and would not help her. I told her, "Yes, I suppose there is plenty of water there." At the close of the services, I announced that we would retire to the Creek and baptize. One of the Indians got up and said " river." The old white brother got up and said, "Bro. Smith, I would like to be baptized in the river." I knew somebody was going to be disappointed and I thought it better to fall on me. So I said, "we'll go to the creek and baptize sister Mary, and then to the river and baptize the others." The house was very warm and very crowded with people, but I threw my over coat around my shoulders and walked down to the creek a quarter of a mile, we sung a song and I offered a prayer and baptized the young lady and then got into an open rig and drove two miles to the river with my wet clothes on and the frost flying in the air with my clothes froze on me. Offered prayer and went into the water and baptized the other six. When I came out of the water my limbs had no more feeling than if I had had none, but to the dear Lord be all the praise and honor, for that is nothing to compare with what He has endured for me. As I only wanted to give a brief sketch, I will have to omit details if my memory serves me right in my account, I have baptized about 700, about one hundred and twenty-five of which were Indians. Preached some four or five hundred funerals. While I was pastor at Union Church in Grant County, Indiana. Eight years in 1883. I organized the first young Peoples meeting in U.S. as I have good reason to believe as I published it in the Journal and Messenger of Cincinnati. I got letters asking me how to organize.

I have been in some twelve or fourteen different states and traveled a great deal but am proud to say I never was in a saloon but one that was to take out a near and dear friend. I never drank a glass of whiskey to my recollection and never swore but one oath. And now with this brief statement I want to thank God with all my heart for his fatherly care over me and amid deserved wrath. And as I am near approaching my seventieth year there is no text that more complies my feelings that Eph. 2:8, " For by Grace are you save thru faith; and not that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God (9) not works lest any man should boast."

And now to my dear children, four boys and four girls, I want to ask you to accept of my thanks of taking counsel and guarding against the evils of the world. That you have been raised to manhood and womanhood without any stain on your characters, which would have been a reproach to me and your dear mother. Glad to believe that you have all accepted Christ, for he all and in all, if it should be God's will to take me and leave your dear mother, I would want her to have, as I believe she would, your love and sympathy, as she has been a dear companion, true and tried and faithful and earthly speaking she is all to me & to you. She I presume, will have sufficient in this world, but there are some things that are very needful that money won't buy. Please pardon me for giving a few practical thoughts of my own production.

" Mud sills are never painted." Life is too short to learn much, but you need not read your Bible long to learn you are a fool." " Don't look from the sun to see a spider threads because you can't neither can you see your sins unless you look to Jesus Christ."

"Don't speak until you have something to say." Don't try to run in the lead for you will get run over." "Don't try to keep on top, for you know when you put on a pot of beans to boil those that pop to the top are not good." "Boys don't stop the plow to catch mice, for you may have to sell your stock in the fall."



Jesus said to His church, " ye shall be witnesses unto me and Jerusalem and Judea and Samaria and to the utmost part of the earth, Acts 43:10.

There are three things that are very important as a witness, first to know the truth: second to tell it under all circumstances though your life is at stake; third, to have a character, not a reputation for reputation is what man thinks of you, character is what you are with God, so that when you do tell it people will believe it. Jesus says, "the candle sticks are the seven churches of Asia." See Rev. 1:20 the number seven is a round number and includes all the seven churches there were only two fit into doctrine, character. Revelation 2 & 3. Only such as bear true testimony for the truth for which Jesus died. With a sad hearth I find in all the so-called churches only 144,000 can claim the true character for they have not committed fortification with Rome directly or indirectly that is to say her children or grandchildren. Pleas do not find fault with me. Rev. 14:5. In the days of their prophesy, see Zac. 4:11 in the days of those who prophesied of their coming. Isa 35; Isa 2, Psalm 72:16, Micah 4. In the days when those prophets lived, that prophesied of their coming they had power to bring rain. See 1Kings 18 to turn rivers to blood. See Exodus 7:17 dressed in sackcloth and ashes in a garb of mourning for the truth of their dear Lord.

In latter part of the fourth century they were driven into the wilderness by the spirit of Anti-Christ which crucified the Lord, and then was made manifest in Rome the mother of harlots and filth of the earth which emanated from the bottomless pit. She remained in wilderness for 1260 years. See Rev. 12:6. Lay dead to the world a part of the time, Daniel says 42 months, Revelation says 3 1/2 days as we understand 3 and 1/2 years. Dr. Orchard in his research for the true church in the 13th century. If my memory serves me right, only found some 500 in Wales, so infer they were dead, so far as the light of the world was at least two years and a half. But they over came by the blood of the lamb. See Rev. 12:11. Sothey emerged from the wilderness in the latter part of the 16th century, the time of the reformation, to a place that God had prepared for her with eagles' wings. We infer that in the U.S. that's the emblematic bird of this country. See Rev. 4;7 where John describes the 4th youngest one as the four quarter of the earth. See also Rev. 12:14 and the earth helped the woman, or the church. See Rev. 12:16. When General Washington, the great father of the country without our Father enacted the law that every one should worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience and that protected her from her enemies, but Old Rome is doing her best yet. See Rev. 12:15 the reader may wonder who were these two Olive trees that empty themselves out in the two living witnesses. I infer by reading Zac. 4:3-7 that these are the world of God and His spirit that as the Olive tree emptied herself of the oil into the lamps to cause them to burn, so God with His word and his spirit supplied them that they may be the light of the world, but the foolish had no oil, see Matt. 25, Ex. 25:6, to the dear Lord all praise and glory forever. Amen.

Historical Facts

The following facts are familiar to the older intelligent Baptist, but the attention of the young people and the uninformed should be called to them. The next generation of our folks should be Baptists as well as we, and should know the reason why. Outside of the Baptist and Catholics there is not a Christian denomination in the world that is 400 years old. All of them are comparatively new religious sects.

First--the oldest is the Lutheran. It began October 31, 1517, just 395 years ago the day that Luther nailed his ninety-five thesis to the door of the church thus openly breaking with the Roman Catholic church in which he was a priest. Thus the Protestant reformation started from which all out modern religious denominations have come.

Second--the next oldest, seventeen years younger than the Lutheran is the Presbyterians founded by Calvin a Catholic priest, who broke with the "mother church," in 1534 thus making the age of the Protestant denomination 379 years.

Third-then comes the church of England or the "Protestant Episcopal" Church founded by Henry VIII king of England in 1534 so far as the political element is concerned as that was the year King Henry broke with the Pope and assumed the Authority of making ecclesiastical appointments in that part of the Catholic Church whose member were his political subjects. It was later on, however, under King Edward VI in 1549, when the first Protestant Episcopal prayer book was issued, and in 1552 when the forty-two articles of faith were drawn up. Thus we see the Episcopal Church is 18 years younger than the Presbyterian that is, it is now 361 years old.

Fourth--the next in order is the Congregational denomination, whose first church was founded twenty-eight years later by Robert Browns. It is consequently 335 years old.

Fifth--the next and largest of all the protestant sects, the Methodist denomination was founded 149 years later in 1729 by a clergyman of the Episcopal Church--John Wesley, its age, therefore is 184 years.

Sixth--the next in order is the Campbellite, sect, founded eighty-two years later, by Alexander Campbell, who was originally a Presbyterian. His first church called " Bush Run" was organized May 7, 1811. The denominations, therefore, is one hundred and two years old. It is true,a year later, the "Bush Run" Church joined a Baptist Association thus making it 80 years old. But Campbell's going among the Baptist in order to more quickly get a following was only an incident in the history of the movement as he and his people were never doctrinally, one with the Baptist and so I write down the date of this denomination as May 7, 1811.

Seventh--comes the Mormons or Latter Day Saints, nineteen years later, founded by Joseph Smith, or by Sidney Rigdon in 1830, as I showed in # 2 of the Spring River Baptist the Mormon sect therefore is 83 years old.

Eighth--next follows after the lapse of 49 years the Christian Science denomination, asking a place among the Christians organizations as a church of Christ. It was founded by Mrs. Mary Baker G. Eddy, in 1879 and is therefore 33 years old as an organized sect.

Ninth--Russellism or the international Bible Students Association is the latest religious sect. Claiming our notice in this article. It was instituted by C. T. Russell and is popularly known as the Millennial Darwinism, Russell's first volume was sent out by the Watch Tower Bible and tract Society press in 1886. This latest sect as started by Russell is 27 years old and is still in embryo.

Ask anybody on earth if he can name ( outside of the Bible) the founder of the Baptist denomination that "sect" that is still everywhere "spoken against" and the date of its birth as I have named the founders and a birth date of the above nine. Before these nine denominations were born, the sects of the Nazarene was called Ana Baptist of the Baptist denomination of the reformation period. The amazing Ana Baptist of the Baptist denomination I an calling attention to were in the mountain hid out and persecuted, for 1200 years by the Catholic church as the scripture foretell, the great Lutheran historian, Moaheim writing of the Baptist says that their origin is "hid in the remote depths of antiquity." Zwingle the Presbyterian historian 360 years ago wrote the Baptist denomination for 1300 years has caused great disturbance in the church ( meaning the Catholic church) Cardinal Hosius one of the most learned Catholic historian, writing of the Baptist 300 years ago says there have been none of these 1200 years past that have more cheerfully and steadfastly undergone the most cruel sorts of punishment than these people.


Fact 1: Maple wood Cemetery, Exeter, MO


i. EBERT8 SMITH, b. November 18, 1866; d. January 22, 1936; m. ANNA STERRITT CRAW, November 25, 1888, Grant Co., IN; b. April 05, 1873, Delaware Co., IN; d. July 14, 1905, Benton Co., MO. ( near Hastings ).

Notes for EBERT SMITH:

Ebert Smith, son of Moses and Patsy Smith, was born November 18, 1866; departed this life January 22, 1936, aged 69 years, 2 months and 4 days. He was converted at the age of 17 and united with the Indian Village Church near Japala, Indiana, where his father was the pastor.

He was married to Anna S. Craw, November 25, 1888. To this union seven children were born, two having died in infancy and Harry at the age of 13 in Exeter, Missouri. His companion went out to meet her Lord in 1903 to receive the reward of the faithful wife and loving mother, and with his father who preceded him five years were at Heaven's Gate to greet him.

He took a second companion, Miss Vesta Weathers 30 years ago, who has shared his joys and sorrows and with his children has tenderly cared for him not only in his last illness but in years of late when his health was bad. The family felt secure in knowing he had good care.

The children who survive are D. W. of Joplin, MO; Otto of Muscogee, Okla, Florence of Fairview, MO, and Olive of Rock Island, IL. We trust his favorite song, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," will ring in the hearts of his children who are unsaved till they decide for Christ and meet him in a land that is fairer than day.

His aged, grief-stricken mother who depend on him so much with three brothers and four sisters are left to mourn their loss which is heaven's gain. C. E. Smith of Fairmount, Indiana, J. M. Smith of Sloan, Iowa, R. W. of Tulsa, Okla; his children. Brothers and sisters-- Mrs. Lydia Craw of Eaton, Indiana, Mrs. Grace Hiatt of Exeter, Mo., Mrs. S. G. Lokey, Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Mrs. Perry Tranthan of Tulsa, Oklahoma. ( this is not correct. The children and brothers and sisters are run together )

Weary and worn he sank into slumber

Weary and worn with sickness and pain

Years may roll on years without number,

But He will never suffer again.

To those who mourn--

Go bury thy sorrow, the world has its share

Go bury it deeply--go hide it with care

Go think of it calmly, when curtained by night,

Go tell it to Jesus and all will be right.

Pall bearers--all business men: John Ellston, Henry Hadley, Arthur Harris, Lewis Smith, John Fluty, and Noah Irvin.

Flower carriers: Rolla and Oren Davis, Juanita Smith and Ruth Harrington.

Songs: " They are gathering, slowly gathering" by quartet. Also, "Will the circle be unbroken," by quartet. Bro. Vanzant sang after sermon, "Life will be sweeter some day", and "In the sweet by and by" at the grave.

Floral offerings were Pipkin Boyd-Neel Packing Co., Fire Dept., Muscogee, Dilling Co., Tulsa, Okla, Junge Baking co., Joplin MO., first Baptist Church, Joplin, MO. Baptist Church, Exeter, Mo., the children (his) nephews and niece at Tulsa, Roy and Lula.

** Ebert and his second wife, Vesta, owed a Grocery Store in Exeter, MO. Barry County.

ii. LAMBERT MELVIN SMITH, b. November 22, 1868.

iii. CYNTHIA LYDIA SMITH, b. January 13, 1871, Cass Co., IN; d. January 30, 1953, Grant Co., IN; m. HARRY STEVEN CRAW, March 03, 1888, Grant Co., IN; b. March 03, 1866, Delaware Co., IN; d. April 10, 1928, Grant Co., IN.


Obituary Harry S. Craw 1928 Marion Leader Tribune, Thursday, April 12th

Former Fairmount Resident Dead

April 11--62, years of age and formerly as resident of this city. Died last evening at his home, located three miles southeast of town. Following a stroke of apoplexy [sic]. Which he sustained last Friday evening. He is survived by a widow, four sons, two daughters. The funeral service will be conducted Friday afternoon at 2 PM from the Fairmount Church of God, with the Reverand L. A. Miller, pastor in charge, burial of the body will be made at Riverside Cemetery, Gas City, IN.

iv. SARAH IDA SMITH, b. January 13, 1871.

v. COLONEL ELLSWORTH SMITH, b. March 28, 1873, Cass Co., IN; d. June 23, 1968, Grant Co., IN; m. (1) AGNES SHANE; b. September 29, 1890; d. March 14, 1965, Grant Co., IN; m. (2) LOUSIA OSBORNE, August 23, 1894, Grant Co., IN; b. January 10, 1878, Grant Co., IN; d. October 04, 1946.


Elsworth Smith

Fairmount---Elsworth Smith, 95, Fairmount, died at 10:30 A.M. Monday at a Marion nursing home. He had been ill for three years.

Mr. Smith had lived in the Fairmount community most of his life. He was a retired farmer. He attended Grant United Methodist Church.

Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. R. H. George, West Lafayette; two sons, Claude Smith, Fairmount, and Everett Smith, Anderson; a brother, Roy Smith, Tulsa, OK; two sisters, Mrs. Lula Tranthan, Tulsa, OK., and Mrs. Pearl Lokey, Redding, CA. seven grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be at 2:30 P. M. Wednesday at Nolder Memorial Chapel, 425 N. Main St., Fairmount. The Rev. James Boyle will officiate. Burial will be in Park Cemetery, Fairmount. Friends may call at the funeral home after 7 P. M. today.

Notes for AGNES SHANE:

Agnes Smith

Fairmount--Funeral Services will be conducted 2 P.M. today for Agnes Smith. Mrs. Smith, 74, died at 3 A.M. Sunday at her home, 414 W Washington St. after a serious illness of several months.

She was a member of the Fairmount Wesleyan Church. Surviving are the husband, Elsworth; one stepson, William Shane, Fairmount, and two sisters, Mrs. Ruth Ford, Fairmount, and Mrs. Lillian Shanahan, Marion.

vi. MELISSA GRACE SMITH, b. January 04, 1875, Cass Co., IN; d. January 1964, Florida; m. ULYSSES GRANT HIATT, October 28, 1894; b. June 06, 1865; d. October 28, 1899, Madison Co., IN.


My birthday is January 4, 1875. I was 83 years in 1958. My Father was a Missionary Baptist Minister who began his service the year I was born. I am the 5th of a family of 11. I was born on my parents wedding anniversary. When my first teacher ask me I said I was born the day they were married. Have learned many valuable lessons since them. I want to tell you some places where we lived during father's ministry. When I was 7 we moved from a farm east of Gas City, to Indian reservation 10 miles north of Marion, Indiana. Where Father serves as pastor of the Indian village Baptist church for 4 years. We lived near the church on a small plot of ground where we had cows and plenty of truck or garden. Also an Indian family named Winters who had several boys who followed in their father's footsteps and drank to excess at such time by brother Eliza and I would go up in our log barn and could see through the cracks when someone met them and tied them to the fence till they sobered up a bit for they were quarrelsome when drinking. Mrs. Winters and 2 year old girl went with Mr. Winters to Lafontaine to do the weeks trading and he got so tanked up she was ashamed to ride home with him and not knowing what would happen then, she threw out a piece of white paper and pretended it was the baby's bonnet and ask him to get it.

She started the horses quickly and left him...poor old Joe plodded along had to pass by our house to get home and was sober enough he was his wife on our porch but went on home. Mrs. Winters stayed on till Mother excused herself to look after the evening chores and while she was gone Mrs. Winters. left and we never knew where she spent the night but soon after dark he knocked at our door and said it's Joe, I want my wife. Father said she is not here Joe. Now Smith, you lie, I see her. I know Joe, she was here but she left while my wife was out and we don't know where she is but he wasn't satisfied, but tried the back door but father assured him he was telling him the truth and he went away. Far as we know she may have spent the night in a shock of fodder. She has a daughter who lived not too far no doubt he would look for her there. This little girl died while we lived there.

The older sister told us mother gave her suck before she went to heaven. Just two experiences of many. I well remember the time when we younger children were left of night when special meetings were in progress and the Indians would race by our house and on up to the church just to disturb the services and sure gave us a scare though they didn't even stop. I went to my first school with the Indian children and one time mother let me stay all night with the Tawtaw girls. Six girls and one brother, Tim. Mrs. Tawtaw was a good friendly lady and told my mother to send over for milk when our cows were dry. So brother Elza 2 years older and I took a gallon bucket to get milk. He insisted on me going to the door ( he was afraid of the girls it seemed ) on the way the dog bit me and gave me a scar on my ankle I'll carry to my grave and on my such jabbering they all did but the dog did not have rabies and so no harm came of it. The Indians were fond of music and had a band stand not too far for our home where they set for practice through the week. The cemetery is back of the church or was, only a wreck is left now. there are plans for a small building near a memorial where visitors can shelter while visiting the old grounds. They have a program each year and my mother C. E. Smith and nephew John Craw were there in 1957 in memory of our Father. We moved 2 miles from the church and school on a farm owned by Pete Peconga. We walked two miles to school. Our teacher was Steve Sherman who lived at Japala. He had offered a prize to the scholar who was present each day and never tardy. So I set my heart on the prize and album with a white kitty on the back but jealousy crept in and some school mates said Mr. Sherman who did wait each A.M. before the last bell to see if I was coming. such is life. He went out to get wood for our big stove but I got the prize O.K. I saw my first church wedding when I was about 10 years old. The same year I was saved. The happy couple, Leander Lawson and Lizzie Brindle our S. S. Supt. daughter. A tall banner for the enrollment etc. was near our class and maybe some small by 4 years younger than I pushed it over the Supt. looked our way in surprise and brother Jesse said Timmie done it, human nature. God bless his memory. I was quite small when I witnessed a wedding at our gate, white woman, Mary Bolen and the man Peconga (an Indian).

They didn't get out of the buggy so I was the necessary witness and held the light. Billy Swayzee and I were baptized in the Mississinewa River by my father, they had to cut the ice. I was 10 years old. The Indiana converts was wanted a running stream and if we mentioned the creek they's say river. Father and I counted up the times we had moved, 20 times. We had an average of moving once a year up to the time I was married. So you can see I had a sweet patient mother to put up with the cleaning so many dirty houses and adjusting herself to different circumstances. When we were on the farm she with my older brothers and quite a little responsibility to keep things going when father was called away so much. There were 8 children who grew to adult hood 4 boys and 4 girls only 5 left now in 1958. Brothers Bert and Jesse and sister Lydia have gone to their eternal rest. Father moved in 1896 to his permanent home in Exeter, MO. where he passed away in 1931. He had quit pastoral work at the age of 70, and was 86 when the Lord called him home. Mother lived 8 years after that time. Brother Bert left us. Sister Lydia and I took care and turns staying with them before father went and Lydia was there at that time. I stayed 2 years after and she came home and was there when Brother Bert passed away. I was called home as my family needed me and I was not there when mother left us in February 1939.

I was married to Grant Hiatt, October 13, 1894. Our married life only five years. Five short years of happy life together. We were blessed with 3 sons. Jesse Earl, August 9, 1895, Walter Howard, December 14, 1896, and Chester Doyte, May 15, 1898. His belief was Brethren and he attended the Old Oasis Church sometimes ( east of Summitville ) He never once asked me to make a change but did say just read the Bible, the result, we both came to the Church a year later, and were baptized in the same river near a noted rock. He was installed in the deacons office the same fall1899. We drove from near Fairmount, Indiana to the old church east of Summitville twice a day on Sundays. We lived on a rented farm the Mike Mittank place where I went as a bride and where he passed away October 28, 1899. Laid to rest in the Vinson Cemetery near Summitville, Indiana. Later I had this verse put on his stone. " Weary and worn he sank into slumber, weary and worn with sickness and pain, years may roll on years without number but he never will suffer again."

When I first went to Kokomo, Indiana we were living on a forty acre farm belonging to father Hiatt. A brother In law, Clint Tomlinson was tending the ground. The house empty so father Hiatt asked if I would like to go our there with the boys. We had been living in Summitville in part of one house I had bought expenses were paid after Grant's passing. We lived there for 12 years. As soon as the boys were old enough they tended the ground and had a nice crop of corn to harvest. Chester looked after that and hauled father Hiatt's part to him. Jesse was in Fairmount Academy and Walter was working for his uncle Clinton. After Grant's passing I kept the boys together until Jesse was in his last year of high school. He stayed at Father Hiatt's to finish and I went to keep house for a cousin, John Deboo, who had a 3 year old son, James. Chester and Walter found work on farms and made John's home theirs until they married. Jesse never married. He came to visit me in Florida ask how I would like it if he should sell his interest in the farm to Walter and buy a place here as I was getting too old to be changing about so much and was I glad to say yes. I had spent 10 years in children and aged peoples home in Indiana and Pennsylvania.

Walter married Nellie Harrell. They were married at her home at Christmas and the snow was so deep I couldn't get there as the trolleys were not running. Walter's had 4 children, George Franklin, Harold Eugene, Robert Lee, and Bernice. Bernice married Orville Wright. They had two sons, Jack and Larry. Bernice passed away March 13, 1945. Jack was 5 years old in April and Larry was 8 months old. I was in Pennsylvania at the time keeping house for an old man, George Root. They had wrote me Bernice was very sick in the Marion Hospital and had gone to the great beyond before I could get here by train. I was 24 miles from Lancaster, PA, but I called at once of reservation and left at 12 P.M. the next day. It was the time of gas shortage or Cameron Root would glady have taken me but no gas. He took me to see a friend of Chester's who had said if I needed a friend he was the man so his son took me. A good neighbor, Ruth Jones helped me pack. I only changed at Columbus, Ohio, at 8 A.M. and right on to Marion.

I called Walter and Jesse and George's wife came for me in her car. It was sad as George and Gene her brothers were in the service. she had sent packages to them shortly before her sickness. After some years Orville Wright, Bernice husband married again and Jackie went to live with them but Walter's didn't want to give Larry up. I am hoping he will be a comfort to them in later years. George married Anna Mae Ressler, they have 3 children, James George, Daniel Ray, and Charley. Eugene married Donna Brown. They have one child, Sandra Lee. They all live near Kokomo, Indiana.

Chester married Veriena Deardorff. I was a witness. They have 7 children, Opal, Ralph, Lois, Lawrence, Vera, Paul and Kenneth. Opal the oldest is home. Ralph lives in Kokomo, Indiana. He married Betty Walker and they have 1 girl, Linda Sue. Loid married James Bates, in Houston, Texas, her second husband in 1953. They have a baby, James Dale and she has an older son, Eugene. Lawrence married Anna Wilson and has 5 children, Larry, Leonard, Dianne, Betty Ann, and Lonnie. They live in Orlando, Florida. Vera married Melvin Freeze, a farmer in PA. They have three children, Connie, Donna and Judy Ann. Paul married Verna Young, they have 4 children, Carol, Michael, Peggy and Neal. They live in Orlando, Florida. Kenneth married Lucille Berkenbine, they have three children, Chester, Gloria, and Glen. They live in Pennsylvania.

My full name is Melissa Grace Smith Hiatt, born January 4, 1875. My husband full name was Ulysses Grant Hiatt, born June 6, 1865. My father's name was Moses Smith and my mother, Patsy Wheeldon, born May 8, 1849.

" I'm living my life a day at a time. The past is forgotten--the future not mine, and tho I may pass--down the Jericho Road, I walk in His shadow and light is my load. I take up my cross as upward I climb. I'm living my life a day at a time."

I have three children, 10 grandchildren, and 27 great grandchildren living. This was written January 24, 1958. Grace Smith Hiatt.


vii. SEARING SMITH, b. October 02, 1877.

viii. JESSIE MOSES SMITH, b. September 26, 1879, Cass Co., IN; d. October 27, 1955, Fairmount, Indiana, Grant Co., IN; m. (1) LULA MAE BLAIR; m. (2) PALMA LENA PETERSON, January 17, 1907, Sloan, Iowa; b. December 23, 1885, Wolsey, South Dakota; d. December 27, 1934, Sloan, Iowa.


In the story of Palma Lena and Jessie (Jess) M. Smith, you are going to learn something that is unusual, and perhaps some things that you didn't know before. It was years before we children knew that the M. stood for Moses. A cousin, Lavedah Craw, Fairmount, Indiana, writes: " in looking up the genealogy of the Smiths we have reason to believe that Moses I, ( this information was sent to Lavedah by a Velma Tinder, Davenport, Iowa, who copied it from a Long Lick Baptist Church record in Kentucky, 1972. Often times a family will repeat a surname and Moses is unusual. Velma Tinder has published a genealogy. In it she says the Tinders came from Scotland.)

Jess Moses was born September 26, 1879 in Cass County, Indiana. He was eighth of eleven children--six boys and five girls. I have heard Aunt Pearl laugh and say that the first four grew up, and the last four were raised. Pearl was born September 5, 1881. Three of ht children died in infancy. One, Ida, was a twin to Lydia. Lambert Melvin, the second boy, lived less than two years, and Searing, who was the seventh child, preceded our father in birth.

Moses M. Smith ( 1844-1931) was not a Christian while serving in the Civil War. He was mustered out of the service with his health greatly impaired, but by God's mercy he improved. With better health came an interest in religion. He was baptized by a captain of the army. Moses had a call to preach ( as did his grandfather Tinder before him), but he was hampered by poverty.

What went on between I do not know, but this we know: in 1880, the now Rev. M. Smith was pastor in Rosedale, Pulaski County, Indiana. From 1882 to 1885 Jess and his family were in Lafontaine, Indiana, 1886-1891 Jonesboro, Indiana 1892-1897, Fairmount, Indiana.

According to Grant County, Indiana history, the Indian Village Church ( Missionary Baptist) was erected in 1860. First pastor, Rev. Price. Present pastor, M. Smith. membership 145. Public preaching twice each month. Prayer meeting weekly.

ix. OLIVE PEARL SMITH, b. September 05, 1881, Pulaski Co., Indiana; d. January 19, 1976, California; m. SIDNEY LOKEY, December 31, 1899, Missouri; b. July 13, 1879, Missouri; d. April 1956, California.


An Autobiography By Olive Pearl Smith Lokey

I was born in Pulaski County, Indiana on September 5, 1881, the ninth child in a family of eleven; six boys and five girls. Three died in infancy. At this time, September 17, 1968, three are living, myself (87), sister Lulu Trantham (82) and brother Roy Smith (77).

My grandfather, Jezria Smith was born in Scott County, Kentucky, March 13, 1810, and married Cynthia Ann Tinder. Both are buried at Gas City, Indiana. My father, Moses Smith, after experiencing the horrors of war in which he served with the 6th Indiana Regular Infantry from 1861 to November 22, 1864, dedicated his life to the preaching of the Gospel in the Southern Baptist Church. He had pick up a Bible on the battlefield at Peach Tree Creek, and after trying to vainly find J. B. Sloan, whose name was inscribed in it, or some of his relatives, he cherished it to the end of his life and directed that it be buried in the casket with him.

Soon after his discharge, he met Miss Patsy Wheeldon. They were married, and he entered into the ministry in the church where his parents were life long members. My mother had two sisters and several brothers. One sister, Ann Deboo, I knew quite well, and I knew two of father's sisters, Frances Hopple and Sarah Pherson.

Soon after my birth, Father was sent as a missionary to the Indians. I have heard my mother tell of a family with one girl and seven boys, a close neighbor. All the men would go to town to get "firewater" ( whiskey) and came home to beat the women. There was a stile ( for my 46 grandchildren have never seen one, this is a stile...). The men were met here and the women would tie them up until they sobered up, as they would stumble and fall on the stile which served as a gate. men could climb over, but cattle could not.

I visited the old Indian cemetery here in 1967 and the old church was gone but the stones, some of them 300 years old, were still there. The Indians belonged to the Mississinewa Tribe, and father ministered to them for eight years. I do remember the move to a farm near Gas City, Indiana, where my Father was pastor. His parents lived there until their death at a ripe old age.

We lived at Summitville where brother Roy was born, and when I was 12 we moved to Fairmount where Father was pastor while a church was built.

I attended school at Grant, and there was also a church just across the street. We would go over at noon when a series of meetings were held. A dear pal, Dessie Johnson, who later married a Roberts, and I both accepted Christ as Savior and were immersed in the river by Pastor Iliff.

Father had a cousin, Cindy Jones, living in Monett, Missouri and when we moved to Missouri, Father had retired and we lived on a small farm near Purdy. My older brothers, Bert and Elzy, and two older sisters Lydia and Grace had married and stayed in Indiana, so only brother Jess, 18, and myself, 16, sister Lou 12, and brother Roy age 7, moved to Missouri. I was not happy to leave Indiana and a boy named Palmer Ice. We had talked of marriage and I promised if McKinley was elected President, I'd go back and if Bryan won, he would come to Missouri for me. McKinley was elected but by then I had met Syd Lokey and decided to stay in Missouri. We were married in father's home on December 31, 1899. I was then 18 and Syd 20. The marriage was at noon on the last day of the last month of the last century.

The following Spring, Dad Lokey, a Methodist minister, was sent as Pastor to a church at Billings, Missouri, and a year later bought a farm in Stone County, the fall of 1900. On October 10, a little girl came to our home ( we lived on the farm Dad Lokey owned near my father's home.)

We named her Lora Esther. Over the years the name became Lorene and finally Lorraine. In the spring when she was six months old, we moved near Dad Lokey's farm and bought 80 acres from Millie Gardner. It was a half mile from Dad Lokey's farm on 160 acres, and he preached in Ponce De Leon, a small town 1 1/2 miles from the farm. It was named for the man who discovered the Pacific Ocean.

Abel Lokey and the mother of the two came to live with them. Abe was a bachelor and made brooms to sell. Syd also learned the trade as a side line to farming. He later took an examination for teacher, passed and received a diploma, but never used it.

After a year with Dad Lokey, we moved to the 80 acres and soon after Juanita came to make us four in our family. Our home was a log cabin with a huge fireplace, two-story with a kitchen, When the baby was 18 months old, Hazel came...three darling little girls, and we needed a larger home. Syd got lumber from a saw mill and built a two story house on the opposite side of our farm. He split the shakes and I helped put them on the roof. We had to haul water in barrels and we did not stay there very long.

We moved to Purdy, and Syd and Perry Trantham joined a group of men going out to Lamar, Colorado, to work in the sugar factory. Lulu and her two oldest boys, Verl and Graydon, lived on a farm, and my three girls, Lorraine, Juanita and Hazel, and I stayed with them about six weeks, when we also went to Colorado. All lived in a two-room apartment until Perry, Lous and boys moved to a house.

We met our first tragedy when Juanita had leukemia, and died when she was four years old.

A year later a son, Kenneth, came and when he was six weeks old, we went to Clever, Missouri where Dad Lokey lived with wife and daughter, Allie. A baby girl, Sybol, came to us and lived only two months.

We moved to Springfield, Missouri, where Perry and Syd worked in a garage. A year later Donald was born. A colored lady, a very good neighbor, came to help him get a clean start in life. Before he was a year old, we moved back to Clever. The boys had whooping cough very badly, at least Kenneth was bad.

Mildred joined us when Don was three years old, and again Syd went West, this time to Kansas. The five children and I were with Perry and Lou on a farm near Purdy. In the spring we went to Clever and Syd rejoined us. He worked in a Blacksmith shop owed by Jim Solomon.

Again Syd had the urge to " go West" and left for Colorado, his time to Las Animas, where he worked in a sugar factory for about three years. In the spring of 1918 the factory was closed down and a group of men were sent to Rocky Ford, Colorado. Syd left on a Saturday with some other men,to select a house into which the company would move us. On the train the talk turned to an offer Syd had to work at Great Western factory in Fort Collins, and some of them decided to go on up there. Early Sunday I had a telegram from him saying " ship my tools to Fort Collins, sell furniture except piano, come on to Fort Collins." After several days of thought ( some good and some not so good ) I did just as he said.

In Fort Collins, he had rented a furnished house and we settled there for the summer. later we moved to a house in Loomis Street where Marguerite Lucille came to complete our family of six, all of whom as living (1968). In May of 1921 Lorraine was married, the first to leave the nest, and over the years the others have all married, Don the last in 1945.

In 1940 we moved to California, where we celebrated our golden wedding anniversary on December 31, 1949, at our home on Burris St., Compton with all six children and their mates, and some of the grandchildren.

In April of 1956, Syd left me alone and it had been a lonesome road since. In 1961, Peggy and Jim Dye moved to Redding, California and in February 1962, I went to make my home with them, with periodic visit to the homes of the other five.

At the present time, September 1968, I have 49 direct descendants, with my third great, great grandchild expected in December. So life goes on, not all sunshine.

I know not where His islands lift folded palms in air.

I only know I cannot drift beyond His love and care.

Pearl Lokey

San Pedro--Graveside service will be conducted at 10 A.M. Friday at the Green Hills Cemetery for Pearl Olive Lokey of Redding, who died Monday at Shasta General Hospital. She was 94.

Hesse's Funeral Chapel of Redding is in charge of arrangements.

Mrs. Lokey, a native of Pulaski County, Indiana, was born on September 5, 1881. She has been a Shasta Co., resident since 1962.

She was a member of the Pilgrim Church and was an honorary member of the Family Service Agency of Redding. She leaves two sons, K.L. of Salt Lake City, Utah, and D. R. of San Diego, four daughters, Mrs. A. E. Straub, of Fairfax, Mrs. H. J. Barnard, of Portland, Ore. Mildred Wood of Los Angeles and Mrs. James M. Dye of Redding; a sister Lou Trantham of Tulsa, Okla, 14 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren and nine great-great grandchildren.

x. LULA ANN SMITH, b. December 15, 1884, Grant Co., IN; d. June 12, 1981, Tulsa, OK; m. PERRY TRANTHAM, September 03, 1902, Cassville, MO; b. March 23, 1882, Purdy, Missouir; d. November 16, 1966, Cassville, MO.


12 June 1981

Trantham, Lula (Lou), 95, of Sapulpa, passed away Friday. Charter Member of Town and Country Christian Church. Survived by her 2 daughters, Mrs. Lois Mcnelley, of Sapulpa and Mrs. Joy Biggerstaff of Oklahoma City. Two sons, Graydon of Tulsa and Hugh of Terlton; 13 grandchildren, and 35 great grandchildren, and 10 great-great grandchildren; numerous nieces and nephews. Friends may contribute to the American Heart Fund or the Cancer Fund. Service 10 A.M. Monday, Moore's East lawn Chapel. Interment in Memorial Park.

The Life of Lula Ann Thrantham.

I was born on a farm a short distance, about 1 1/2 miles northeast of Gas City, Grant Co., IN. Name: Lula Ann Smith; born December 15, 1885.

My father was Moses Smith, born May 7, 1844, Jennings County, Indiana. When he was 17 years old, he enlisted in the Union Army, Co. G 6th Ind. Reg. Inf. He was gone three years and 32 days. He fought in Kentucky battles, Shiloh, Stone River, Bull Run and Chicamauga. He found a large Bible near the spot where General McPherson was felled and he carried it through the rest of the war. It had blood stains all through it. My father requested that this Bible be buried with him. This was done.

After the war was over, my father entered the ministry as a Missionary Baptist Minister; he was an ordained Minister. He passed away Sunday, January 11, 1931, aged 86 years. He is buried at Exeter, Missouri.

My mother was born, Patsy Wheeldon; Fulton Co., Indiana; May 8, 1849. My parents were married on January 4, 1866. Eleven children were born to this union:

Burt Smith, November 18, 1866 died January 22, 1936, buried in Exeter, MO.

Lambert Smith, November 22, 1868-October 10, 1870

Cynthia Lydia Smith Craw; January 13, 1871 died at age of 83, buried at Gas City, Indiana.

Sarah Ida; January 13, 1871; died March 11, 1871

Ellsworth ( Elzy ) Smith, March 28, 1873

Grace Smith Hiatt January 4, 1875, died February 7, 1964, buried in Florida.

Searing Smith, October 2, 1877, died December 1879

Jesse M. Smith, born Cass County, Indiana, September 26, 1879; buried at Fairmount, Indiana.

Pearl Smith Lokey, September 5, 1881-born Pulaski Co, IN

Lulu A. Smith, December 15, 1885

Roy Wesley Smith, November 3, 1891, Madison County, IN

Eight children lived to adulthood. Brother Burt married Anna Craw. They had seven children; Darr, Otto, Florence, Harry, Ada, and Ollie. Harry and Ada died young. Anna his wife died in childbirth. The child died also, in Benton Co., MO. Brother married Vesta Winters. They both died and were buried at Exeter, MO.

Lydia was next. She married Harry Craw, who was a brother to Brother Bert's wife Anna. Their children are double cousins. To this union was born six children ( John, Clayton, Nelie & Cella, twins, Wilber and Raymond.)

Brother Elzy married Louisa Osborn. To this union was born three children: Claude, Rosa, and Evert. They were married some 50 years, when she died. Elzy then married Agnes. Agnes died about 1964. Since that time Brother Elzy had been in a nursing home and is still alive at the age of 95. He suffered a partial stroke the day after he was 95.

Sister Grace married Grant Hiatt. They had three little boys. Grant died of typhoid fever. The boys, Jessie, Walter, and Chester lived to be grown. Walter and Chester both married and had families. Both are dead now and so is Sister Grace. Grace died February 7, 1964. She is buried in Orlando, Florida. Only Jessie is living. He never married and had a partial stroke some years ago. He is in Kokomo, Indiana at this time.

Sister Pearl married Sydney Lokey. They had eight children. Lorene, Juanita, Hazel, Kenneth, Syble, Mildred and Margaret. Six grew to adulthood. Juanita and Syble died young. Syble had been gone some ten years. Pearl lives with Margarett in Redding, California.

Roy, the youngest, married Mary Foster. He lives in Tulsa with his son, Robert, who is single. His daughter, Virginia Lee Sifferd lives in Tulsa. His daughter, Betty Ann, passed away last summer. Wife Mary is in the hospital at this time.

I have left my own until last, as I wish to go into a little more detail of my family. My parents moved from Indiana to Missouri in 1895. I was 10 years old. We lived 1 1/2 miles southeast of Purdy, Missouri, in Berry County. I went to school at Long School. Before we came to Missouri, I was in a revival meeting held across the road from school and they dismissed classes every day so we could go to church. It was a Methodist church, known as Grant Church. Also, Grant school was nearby. When the meeting over, we all went to a nearby river and approximately forty Methodists and three Baptists were immersed. I was one of them. We were baptized by a Baptist preacher. Jess and Pearl also were baptized by the Methodist preacher. I did not understand or really know much about the Bible or what the teaching was,but I just did what I was told to do.

Afterwards we moved to Missouri, I met and made lots of friends, mostly at Church and school. I met Perry Trantham, who I finally married on 3rd of September 64 years ago. ( Perry was born March 23, 1882-died November 16, 1966). I began going more and more to the Christian Church. Three years after we were married my second son was born, a very well learned man came to Purdy to hold a revival. He had maps he put on the wall to show how to rightly divide the Word. I learned fast when I began to study and see how right he was and so two months before Graydon was born, I was baptized into Christ which is the Church and I received the Gift of the Holy Spirit. We were very happy. We did not have much of this world's goods, but were one in Faith which means a lot.

We have six wonderful children. Verl, the oldest boy, was as born July 6, 1903. He took out an apprenticeship with Frisco railroad in Springfield, MO. and has been with them since and was sent to Tulsa, Oklahoma to finish his last year. He married Mildred Prophet in 1928, and has lived in Tulsa ever since. they have two girls; Mary Ellen and Linda. Mary Ellen is married to Harry Williford and lives in Wichita, Kansas. She and her husband have three adopted children: Mark, Susan and Bryan.

Linda finished her education recently in Hawaii and just recently married Arnold Lipsland. They all belong to the Christian Church.

Graydon, the second son, was born July 21, 1905. He married Maytle Mitchel in Springfield. They have three nice Christian children. They also are of the Christian Church. Emery Allen, married to Betty Campbell, live in Dallas and have two children, Peggy and Mike. Darlene is married to Ralph Ninemire. They have three children, Sandy, Stanley, and Stevie. Patsy married Don Lindmark. They have one. We call her Sam, her name is Karen.

Palma was the third child-born November 20,1 907. Palma married Earl Stewart in 1929. They had two children-Betty Lou and Earl. Earl was born on his Grandpa's birthday, March 23rd. (Earl, Jr.) Betty is married to Bill Jantis. They have three children: Dixie Lee, Stewart, and Mike. Earl, Jr. married a German girl while he was in service (Frances Lochman). They have six children, ( twins) Mathew and Mark, Tommie, Palma Sue, Rebecca and Penney. They separated and are now both married to another. Earl, Jr. to Judy Thornton.

Hubert born April 27, 1910, married to Jewel Farmer. One boy was born to them. Jay Lynn was born on my birthday, December 15th. Jay married Betty Sneed. They had four children to bless their home. Marylin, Karen, Connie, and Timothy. Jay left us for a better Home in Heaven on January 26, 1964.

Lois, born on December 10, 1912. Married to Jess Mcnelley on April 12, 1936. They have four children: David, Glenn, Hubert, and Mary.

Joy, born February 4, 1915; married to Glenn Page in 1938. They had two girls, Donna and Glenda. Joy and Glenn separated in 1965. Joy is still single at this time in 1967. Both girls are married. Donna to Eddie Ridenhour and Glenda to Ronald Ruark ( one child, Troy). Donna has one little girl, Lisa. I am along at this time, Perry having gone on Home on November 16, 1966.

Perry's father was Martin Trantham. He was born on March 8, 1849 at Stafford, Mo. East of Springfield. Died May 1918. Buried at Purdy, Missouri. Perry's mother was born on November 4, 1854, near Purdy, MO. Her name was Rebecca Jane Burchett. She died January 30, 1950. Buried at Purdy, Missouri. To this union was born three children.

Perry Trantham, born March 23, 1882, at Purdy, MO. Married Lula Smith on Sept. 3, 1902. Died November 16, 1966. Buried at Memorial Park, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Lena Trantham, born April 3, 1884 at Purdy, MO. Married Albert Hadley. They had two girls, Rebecca and Mabel Ruth. Albert died in October, 1965. Lena is in a nursing home in Monett, MO.

Ira Trantham, born March 29, 1886, at Purdy, MO. Married to Mildred Pierce. They had four children, Basil, Tom, Hassel and Dale. They live in Rupert, Idaho.

xi. LEROY WESLEY SMITH, b. November 03, 1890, Madison Co., IN; d. November 06, 1972; m. MARY ELIZABETH.

14. JAMES7 WHEELDON (CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born June 14, 1851 in Fulton Co., IN, and died in Nebraska. He married CATHARINE COWER March 13, 1873 in Cass Co., IN.


note from Patsy Wheeldon*

My brother, James Wheeldon, was married in Indiana. He later moved to Nebraska. His only son, Milo still lives in Nebraska. He makes his home with his daughters as his wife passed on several years ago. Milo the son called here to see me two years ago while seeing the Ozarks. His name is Milo Wheeldon and he is employed by the government.



15. EVERLY7 WHEELDON (CYNTHIA ANN6 CALLOWAY, CHARLES C.5, ZACHARIAH4, WILLIAM3 CALLAWAY, WILLIAM2, PETER1) was born 1854, and died 1933 in Muncie, Indiana. He married LOUISA MOREHEART. She died August 1937.


Notes by Patsy Wheeldon Smith

Brother Everly's wife ( Aunt Kate) went to her eternal home August 1937. The last of the brothers' wives. My youngest brother Everly lived in Gausport for many years, but the parents being alone, their oldest daughter, Mrs. A. B. Hoover took them to her home at Muncie where he died in 1933. Aunt Lou lived in her home at Logan a year or so. Her health failed and Ada took her to her home in Muncie. She died there and both are laid to rest in the beautiful cemetery there. Ada's husband died in 1936 after a short illness. They had no children except he had a daughter by his first marriage. Ada taught school in Muncie for 15 years before he marriage and still lives at 723 N. Jefferson St. Bessie is a teacher at Fort Wayne, Indiana. Her name is Elizabeth Berry. Her husband died several years ago. They had no children. The only son, David Moreheart Wheeldon, lives in Logansport now but for two years was county treasurer of Blackford County, Indiana. He married a Catholic girl. They have not any children. I recall this bit of history at the age of 88 years, 6 months. The only one of our family left. Just waiting for the call to come up higher. Patsy Smith, Exeter, MO. 12-27-1937







Sister Sarah married James Deboo and they had four children. On boy, Noah, died when about 2 1/2 years old and a little girl died at birth. John and Sam grew to manhood. Sam is in California and John has gone to his heavenly home where his wife Hazel Brown proceeded him 22 or 23 years. After seven years of a happy home life, James came to live with them. He was only three when he died. They were married October 1937 and live in Kokomo, Indiana.






~ Compiled by Lavedah Craw, with the help and input of Mr. Hattery and Madge Callaway Carvey. Mrs. Carvey contributed the DAR information and Lavedah Craw and Mr. Hattery corresponded for years about the family. Submitted to CFA by Peggy Hanes, April 2004.

Back to Callaway Stories